2 May 2016 – Meeting minutes

Present: Eric, Brian (new), Andy B, Neil, Clare, Steve (Chair), Elizabeth (minutes)

Brian is based in Loughborough, coordinating a Sustrans group there.  Not planning to be a regular member but keeping in touch.

Assistant Mayor’s Forum

Steve and Dave went (thanks)

  • Connecting Leicester:  Canals and Rivers trust has done a lot of work improving canalside paths and a new path at Abbey Meadows (near Space Centre).  Andy B had written to the Council asking what should have been in place for cycling and walking diversions during the works; now putting in complaint as no response received.
  • ‘Townscape Heritage Initiative’.  Marble Street – will continue to be closed at the Newark Street end, but will be paved to look like other semi-pedestrianised areas.  Friar Lane, New Street, Wycliffe Lane will follow, completed by September 2017.  All car parking spaces will disappear.  We discussed the possibility of adding bike parking later.
  • London Road.   Work starting soon.  Will be two-way on the south side of the road.  Will be shared use at junctions, but floating bus stops.  Sounds as though it will go beyond Victoria Park roundabout, possibly to county boundary.  At the meeting our representative pointed out the junction sharing and lack of priority didn’t meet current London standards.  We have requested that they paint cycle priority on the junctions at a minimum.  Not out for consultation yet.
  • Belvoir Street – single lane out of city.
  • Belgrave – lane out of the city 1.5m wide segregated on left hand side.  No lane coming into the city. Promising that traffic flows will be alleviated
  • Future Cycles moving to Horsefair St 20 May
  • Ashton Green Development.  Out for consultation at the moment. A bit of a mess.
  • Lidl near the Phoenix will put in cycle racks; Staples is moving but will not at new site.

Cycle City Active City Conference – 19-20 June

Eric and Elizabeth will attend on behalf of LCCG.  All please give feedback on initial handout draft previously circulated on email list, and things you would like to have included.

Westcotes meeting with Sarah Russell and Andy S

Neil and Jaime met with Cllr Russell and Andy Salkeld (City Cycling Officer).

  • Still promising a cycle rack on Briton Street.
  • Discussed a cycle lane on Wilberforce Road and Western Road.  Idea falls apart a bit when crossing Upperton Road and at Paton Street.
  • On Wilberforce Road, agree would like flower beds that close roads to come out as they collect rubbish and make the cycle route annoyiing, but they do effectively close the roads
  • Andy S suggests going to wards for any money.  Elizabeth to go to Braunstone/Rowley Fields to request bike racks at the Coop / Wilkos at Imperial Road.

Welford Road cycle lane opening

  • Council have agreed they would like it, suggest week after Cycle City Conference; we have decided against this date.
  • We aren’t sure the lane is of good enough quality and not well enough connected to warrant a ‘celebration’.
  • There is some work at the end of Lancaster Walk at the prison that is incomplete – will eventually cross the street toward the Royal Infirmary.
  • Floating bus stops – used to be protected by 4m wide bus lanes.  Having lost that, people are waiting much closer to the road and will get covered in spray when it rains.  Also, the floating bus stops are used by people who are visually impaired and attend a clinic at the Royal Infirmary.  Appear to be missing tactile paving in important places, and a worry about people needing to cross the cycle lane.  There is concern that it is poorly designed for visual impairment.
  • Before monthly meeting on 6 June, we will meet at 6:30 at Welford Place to ride the cycle lane and form opinion on final quality and finish.  We could move from a celebration to a ‘get to see this and comment’ ride, etc.
  • Jaime – please add this to Riverside invitation to all members.

Riverside Festival

  • Neil will sort out banner and what things we own, retrieving it from the Council on 10th May.
  • Steve will email to organise a place (Andy Salkeld)
  • Need to update a lot of our photographs and clippings.
  • Suggestion: bicycle locking information, and where exactly people would like more racks.
  • Suggestion: our log of worrying places in the city – can we show it to people at Riverside?
  • Suggestion: collect info on yellow routes for the cycle map.

Communication

  • Lccg-discuss email address inconsistent with bounceback.
  • Suggest trying a test Google Group with various email addresses – Clare will give it a try.

Braunstone Gate

  • Concrete and wooden planters and white lines due to happen.
  • Charlotte would like feedback from cyclists about how it affects their journey once it happens.

Regent Road

  • Message from cyclist who had been hit on Regent Road.
  • Clare requested information on whether it was infrastructure related (beyond having to mix with cars) or solely due to dangerous driving.  Suggested using Lancaster Road (Route 63).

Cycle Map

Date of Next Meeting – 6 June 2016

  • 6:30pm at Welford Road cycle way (which should open that day) – meet at Welford Place
  • 7:30pm at the Exchange

 

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Meetings, News

Comments are closed.