Meeting Minutes – Monday 5th June 2017

Present: Anna (chair), Jaime (secretary), Dave C, Nicola, Mariangela, Clare, Peter, Neil, Adam

Apologies: Eric, Mat

  1. 1.       Infrastructure
    1. a.       Five-ways plans

Discussion of plans presented for Cycle City Forum (CCF). Improvements to many junctions proposed. Major issue is that cycle provision is likely to be shared space (Clare). No definite plans at the moment as exact measurements not available – planners would prefer segregated lanes but shared space seems the most likely outcome. Consultation is closed so few options to influence. Peter mentioned that central reservation could have been used (Blackbird Road) and alternative parallel routes (Bradgate Road) but suggestions not acted on. Nicola raised the possibility of pushing for a Leicester City Design Guide (similar to the London one). Timeframe for scheme unknown. Anna to ask for input from James (SusTrans) (AP).

    1. b.       Wellington Street

Neil is concerned about the route from Market Street onto Wellington Street as the redesign may have ignored the needs of cyclists. Anna, Clare and any other volunteers to attempt to ride after the meeting and report back (AP).

    1. c.       De Montfort University routes

Raised by Adam. Concerns about actual route of Route 6 after redevelopment paerticularly the lack of signage. Clare mentioned that route has been changed a few times during the process and it is not clear what the finalised route will be. Anna mentioned that in the near future the National Cycle Network may look at this afresh(?).

    1. d.       Sheffield stands outside The Criterion

Peter mentioned the missing cycle stands removed during work and hoped they would be re-installed.

    1. e.       Castle Gardens

Group discussed the lack of cycle paths through Castle Gardens as somebody had been told off by member of the public for riding through. Short discussion of whether group should ask for this ban to be lifted but this idea not to be followed up on at present.

    1. f.        London Road

Clare and Nicola had attended most recent CCF at which this was discussed. Currently, the council’s proposal should be with the Mayor and the finalised plans may be at the next CCF meeting. Suggestion to ask for plans to be available in advance (30 minutes) of the meeting to allow some consultation and appropriate responses. Anna (as rep for LCCG) and Nicola to coordinate and request early viewing at next CCF meeting (21st June; AP).

  1. 2.       City Ride

Now sponsored by HSBC rather than Sky. Date is 14th August although this clashes with races, i.e. Castle Classic. Event is likely to be more ‘corporate’ this year and LCCG may not be offered a stall. Suggestion to do something more informal and wear LCCG-branded T-shirts while cycling round the course and engaging people at opportune moments. A popular idea. Anna to discuss with Andy what general arrangements will be on the day and subgroup of interested people to meet up in mid-late July to discuss specific plans (AP).

  1. 3.       Safe Pass Initiative

Eric (absent) reports that police have decided to ‘go it alone’ and he has had little contact of late. Decision of group to thank Eric for his hard work in establishing this initiative and to monitor the effectiveness of the campaign over the summer.

  1. 4.       Meeting frequency

All present were happy with new arrangements. In addition, it was pointed out that meeting dates no longer clash with Bank Holidays so no need to move from Monday. Mat to email The Exchange to cancel room booking on months not needed (AP).

  1. 5.       Online presence and social media

Clare mentioned lack of up-to-date information on website. Consensus by group that a more static website with links to dynamic content (Facebook, Twitter) would be preferable and easier to maintain. Peter to start a redesign of a simpler, static homepage (AP.) Jaime (and future secretaries) to ensure minutes are sent through to Peter for archiving (AP). Adam and Claire to continue posting relevant information on Facebook (AP).

  1. 6.       Field trip

Nottingham and London both suggested by Neil as potential locations for a trip to examine cycle infrastructure ‘done properly’. Nottingham preferred due to cheaper cost. Suggestion to contact Nottingham Cycle Group (Hugh?) as way of building bridges and getting local opinions/information. Cycle hire in Nottingham mentioned as may be easier than trying to get lots of bikes on a single train. Anna to contact Hugh (AP) and Neil to send out email to discussion group with some candidate weekends to garner expressions of interest (AP).

Meeting closed at 20:30

Date of next meeting: Monday 4th September

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Meetings

Comments are closed.