Meeting Minutes – Monday 4th June 2018

Present: Jaime (secretary/chair), Elizabeth, Neil, Steve

Apologies: Clare, Eric, Adam, Eric

  1. Business

AGM updates – Elizabeth to send round EMCF minutes and others to comment (AP 18/01: EB)

Secretary position – Jaime to assume, Membership Secretary absorbed into Secretary role

Mat to continue as Adam Clarke/council liaison (AP 18/02: JM, inform Mat)

Committee: Steve, Neil, Elizabeth (treasurer), Jaime (secretary), Eric (press)

GDPR email – we have taken steps to inform members – nothing more to be done

Review of meeting dates – clash with critical mass or other groups, should we go to bimonthly? Our influence is greater than our size/meeting attendance at this stage so we should continue to convene and meet

Next meeting – August, website to show dates of 3 next meetings, even months – AP 18/03: Clare and Peter to update internet

  1. UHL, LRI cycling infrastructure

Neil, two years ago talked to LRI boss and presented document detailing the advantages of promoting cycling, IT issues and hospital bureaucracy/communications made the BUG not work as well. BUG run by carparks/transport administrator. Staff parking v cheap and there is a heavily promoted drive to work scheme. Good news is Sustrans and city council are making progress mostly at Glenfield. Neil (AP 18/04) offering to send letter to boss detailing the ongoing issues and express disappointment – visitors and staff unable to park their bikes. Health implications need to be considered. Infrastructure is terrible. Media (Mercury) to be contacted if response is insufficient.

  1. UoL safety study

Poor level of responses but little else we can realistically do – AP 18/05 Elizabeth to contact and offer some advice.

  1. New leaflets

What are we going to do with these leaflets? What do we put on the bottom? No definite dates to go on but just website. AP 18/06 (Steve and Neil): Will cut leaflets up to remove meeting date portion. 

  1. Sky Ride and other bike events

NB Stall stuff is at Neil’s house

Ride Leicester – 7th August – 21st August

HSBC Ride: Sunday 12th August

Could we get close pass mat from Neil’s friend or a contact of Brendan? What should we put on the stall? Survey to find out factors that influence cycling e.g. What puts you off cycling more? Which of these do you like most (photos)? “10 second survey”

Jobs before 6th (Next meeting date): (1) Let Andy know/arrange a table; (2) Recruit volunteers;

Jobs in week leading up: get sign-up sheets and change

AP 18/07: Steve to lead and coordinate LCCG stall (depending on availability)  

Open Streets – last Sunday of every month, if we had enthusiasm we might get involved but at the moment not enough momentum. Tea with cyclists? Something relaxing, quick chat about strategy. Next event should be 24th June (11-2), if somebody goes along, they will report back.

  1. End of the Road

Specific invitation and request from new coalition, being put together by activists, starting in response to the city’s strategic plan. Particular focus on Evesham Road link – building more roads is not the best way to cope with an anticipated rise in traffic. We are asked to put in a statement. Friday (10 am) this week, EOTR going to present petition at Town Hall specifically about Evesham Road link.

Statement on road building agreed unanimously, LCCG signed up to EOTR. AP 18/08 Elizabeth to let Zina know.

  1. Transforming Cities update

Steve and Neil report back. Not particularly innovative but some interesting workshops on city planning particularly on misplaced incentives coming from central government.

Talks: Problems caused by Dutch cycle lanes – people pushing boundaries of what is acceptable (e.g. mobility scooters, electric bikes, large pedal-powered vehicles). Led to uptick in accidents. Law says that certain vehicles have to use them. Designation via speed could be more appropriate in many situations. Rigid designs can cause problems so flexible designs can help retain street character.

Lift-share: should be promoted more, with corporate buy in and good technology solutions. Filling empty car seats could be a really useful solution to congestion.

Council signing up to be 100% renewable.

Waterside development apparently not particularly sustainable. Criticised by a number of people. Shows lack of ambition, put down to lack of budget.

DONM: 6 August 

Table of Action Points

AP# Action Member
18/01 Circulate EMCF minutes for comments Elizabeth
18/02 Inform Mat about ‘City Council Liaison’ role Jaime
18/03 Update Facebook/website with new meeting dates Clare/Peter
18/04 Send letter to UHL / LRI boss about cycling Neil
18/05 Contact to offer advice about participant recruitment Elizabeth
18/06 Chop up leaflets Steve/Neil
18/07 Coordinate stall for Skyride (talk to Andy about stall and ask for volunteers) Steve
18/08 Tell Zina about LCCG support for End of the Road Elizabeth

 

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Meetings, News

Comments are closed.