Meeting Minutes – Monday 1st October 2018

Venue: The Exchange
Present: Jaime (chair/minutes), Clare, Adam, Steve, Peter
Apologies: Eric, Elizabeth

1. End of the Road coalition and demonstration
Background: We agreed to join coalition and added our name with edits to a letter for the council but never saw final copy of the letter. There is a demo on Thursday (4/10) at 4pm when Council will be meeting to discuss the proposal (Evesham Road and other schemes, possibly Soar Lane/Rally Park). We are reticent to send an All-Members email for this issue at this stage.
AP: Clare to ask Elizabeth to procure a copy of the final letter so that she can send to Peter and have put on the website. Also, in same email to ask Elizabeth about the demo and tell her that if anybody wants to take the banner they are welcome but will have to get it from Neil or the council lock-up.

2. London Road
Background: An anonymous LCCG member obtained plans from the council via an FOI and is concerned about some of the design choices, primarily, (1) how to get to the Cycle Hub when arriving from the south and (2) what the cycle flow is at some of the crossings especially at the top of Victoria Park. We agree that it is unclear what happens from the plans. We think a good chance that the council haven’t worked it out yet either. We have confidence in Brian Deegan’s input and hope this means the issues will be resolved adequately. We don’t want to unnecessarily antagonise them.
AP: Jaime to contact Mat and see if we can get an informal meeting with Adam Clarke. Jaime to thank our member and encourage him to follow up on issues if he feels it would be worthwhile.

3. Hospital cycle provision
Background: Neil has been working to improve cycling provision at Leicester hospitals (especially LRI) for a couple of years. George from Sustrans has also been keen to focus on this and has made some progress at Glenfield. Recognition by group that cycling for staff and patients/visitors should be far easier than it is especially given the clear health benefits of cycling. Adam keen to be involved in this issue as he works at Glenfield and may have some useful contacts.
AP: Jaime to put Neil and Adam in touch and encourage them to liaise with George and continue their good work.

4. Cycle City Workshop
No one at the meeting was able to attend.

5. Administration
Who is Twitter?
AP: Jaime to ask Mat and Eric if they have the details although nobody seems keen to take on this role at the moment.

6. Cycle collisions
JM brought up a piece on Radio 4 Today about the ‘increasing danger posed by cyclists’. General agreement that this was a rage-inducing framing of the issue especially given the huge number of accidents and fatalities involving cars. Peter said that one good thing was that on the follow up at 1pm, pedestrian and cycling advocates were also in broad agreement that cars were the problem.

7. Knighton Neighbourhood meeting
Clare had attended a Knighton neighbourhood forum where the local councillor(s) came along with a large map of the area and people were able to point out troublesome locations for cycling. Clare suggested that other wards could try this but that its success also relied on the existence of an engaged neighbourhood forum. Jaime stated that in Westcotes we had tried something similar but maybe it was too focused on cycling – important to have sustained pressure if you want something to emerge from these meetings.

End of Meeting
DONM: 3/12/2018

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Meetings, News

Comments are closed.