Meeting Minutes – 3 June 2019

LCCG Minutes – 3rd June 2019

Present: Jaime, Eric, Clare, Neil, Peter, David

  1. Change in roles

Secretary role will be vacated as Jaime is leaving. Discussion of what the duties were and whether it makes sense to divide secretary from membership secretary. (ACTION: Jaime to prepare description of current duties for circulation to committee). Clare may be able to take on some duties, at least as a temporary measure. (ACTION: Jaime to pass on all membership data to Clare or other volunteer).

Group agreed that a gentle push to recruit new active participants from existing members would be worthwhile. Also, may be a good time to re-consider timing of bimonthly meetings. (ACTION: Jaime to draft all-members email informing of situation).

  1. Riverside Festival debrief and plans for City Ride

Group wishes to express particular thanks to Neil, Eric and Stuart (police volunteer) as well as all other volunteers for helping. Neil has sent Stuaart an email thanking him for participation.

Queries over whereabouts of Close Pass-associated items (e.g. VR set) that Cycling UK should have sent out. (ACTION: Neil to investigate. UPDATE: Neil has found, had been sent to Future Cycles after being damaged in the post.)

General agreement that it would be good to run a similar set-up again (e.g. for Sky Ride). Improvements may be creating a vertical sign to attract more people/drivers. (ACTION: Neil to write to Stuart to request help for City Ride and ask for meeting beforehand to discuss plans).

  1. Upcoming events

Clare and Neil will represent us at the Street Design Guide workshop being organised by the Council on Friday 7 June. Dave also hopes to go to represent Friends of the Earth. (ACTION: Clare and Neil)

Eric is going to the East Midlands Cycle Forum on 22 June and will give an update on our recent/current campaigns. Clare to promote the event on Facebook. (ACTION: Eric and Clare)

Eric and Dave will be meeting with Willy Bach, Police and Crime Commissioner soon. (ACTION: Eric and Dave)

  1. “Get Behind the Bike Box” campaign

The campaign has already provided good opportunities to engage with the police. Responses from members/followers to the initial launch of the campaign were shared with Simon Coles (Chief Constable) at Eric’s meeting with him. One response was from a Bikeability instructor who was considering giving up their role due to the abuse they get from other road users.

Three bus drivers reported by Eric have each been fined £100 – first ever cases in the County as far as we know! Due to a police error, they didn’t also get three points on the licences, but anyone convicted in future will get both the fine and the points.

Two of the bus companies (First Bus and Centrebus) agreed that entering the boxes when lights are red is illegal and will be addressing the issue with their drivers. First Bus training officers will be receiving cycling awareness training from Ride Leicester, including taking them out on bikes around town. Centrebus have said they will review their driver training.

First Bus and Biffa will be bringing vehicles to the City Ride to give people the opportunity to experience what it is like for drivers on the road with cyclists around. The Biffa lorry will have the latest sensor equipment fitted.

  1. Other issues

Neil expressed concern about the lack of attention to cyclists in the plans to make Braunstone Gate more people-friendly. He will talk to the project manager, Darren, about whether to try and get the project onto the Cycle City Workshop agenda (ACTION: Neil).

The meeting gave a formal expression of thanks to Jaime for his work on behalf of the group over the past few years, especially as Membership Secretary and for helping to plan and chair meetings, particularly the AGMs. We wish Jaime and his family well in their new life in Norway.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Meetings

Comments are closed.