Open Meeting Notes – 7 October 2019

Present: Clare, Dave, Peter, Eric

Apologies: Neil

Report back from City Ride. Not a lot of interest/engagement for a lot of effort by a few committee members. Changes to location at the last minute, difficulty coordinating with police regarding mat, issues related to need for all stall holders to have public liability insurance. We would not be covered by police insurance if using the mat without a police officer there and it may even be tricky for us to join them in an official capacity at an event where they had the mat. Seems unlikely to be worth getting our own insurance (cover from Cycling UK would be £70 per year), so we probably won’t be able to attend such events in future. Eric to feed this back to the Cycle City Workshop.

London Road – still no response from Council to Eric’s request for information about the physical segregation where there is not currently a kerb. More kerbs have started appearing on sections of outbound side just up from the station, so worth waiting until it is clearer what more is going in – wands have been mentioned. Not certain when the scheme is due to be completed but should be soon. We’re keeping an eye on things to be able to organise some groups of cyclists to ride loops around the length of the cycle path to raise drivers awareness of it once completed.

Cycle Hub at Station – likely to be more demand once London Road scheme is completed. Still difficult to get hold of fobs (station information office get sent a few dozen at a time, as and when) although hub often appears under-used. Peter to contact EMR to begin engagement, either through arranging a meeting or email correspondence.

Other infrastructure:

  • Exit from New Street on to Peacock Lane is on blind corner and cars are coming out very quickly with some doing wide turns, putting cyclists and pedestrians using Peacock Lane at risk. Dave to take photos of signing, etc, and investigate vehicle routes.
  • Contraflow lanes on Jarrom Street and Briton Street. Dave to email Elisabeth Burleigh who has been in contact with the Council about a potential site visit to discuss signage for the contraflow on Jarrom Street. Might be worth involving Cllr Sarah Russell.
  • Path across Victoria Park is almost completed.
  • York Road restructure is ongoing.
  • Wellington Street to get a contraflow cycle lane from Belvoir Street junction. Council processing necessary traffic order.
  • Segregated route along St Matthew’s Way at Wharf Street to provide cycle path around sections of inner ring road due to start soon.
  • No sign yet of anything happening on Belgrave Gate to link Burleys Flyover roundabout to Belgrave Circle.
  • Cycle Lane planned for Abbey Park Road from Belgrave Circle to link up with NCN6 and new housing developments at old Wolsey factory site.
  • New paths on Belgrave Gate between Burleys Flyover and Haymarket – still a problem of cars on side roads not giving way to cyclists on paths. Probably just a matter of time for drivers to get used to new layout, as is likely to happen on London Road. Advice is to be assertive but vigilant when using path and to engage if possible (politely) with drivers to show them cyclists have priority.

Accident stats: Contact via Facebook from Matt Vallins suggesting we request KSI (Killed, Seriously Injured) figures from the police related to accidents involving cyclists and specifically for cycle lanes, which he considers do not contribute to cyclists’ safety overall. National stats were issued on 8 November last year – figures for year to June 2019 should be available next month via DfT website. Clare had suggest to Matt that he put in a FOI request. She will let Matt know about national stats and ask him to let us know if he finds out anything more. We are generally supportive as a group of segregated cycle lanes on fast/busy roads.

Cycle Safety Video: Nassar Kaliisa, media student from DMU who did some video recording with Jaime at AGM has put together a short video on Bike Safety in Leicester. Clare to email link to committee members to agree whether to post it on FB.

Engagement with Hospitals – Issue was raised by Elisabeth Burleigh on email list about lack of promotion by UHL of Bike to Work Awareness Day/Week . Person she contacted in Communications at UHL was interested to consider something for next year. Suggestion that Neil draws up timeline for engagement with George Pollard at Sustrans aiming to have something definite in place by Bike Week next year.

Climate Action Coalition: Dave attended Climate Action kick-off meeting organised by Friends of the Earth on 29/09/19, attended by 85 people. A Climate Action Coalition is proposed and a list of demands has been made to Council, including prioritising investment in cycling, walking, etc. Dave to follow up with meeting organisers on what involvement we might want to have with the proposed coalition.

Date of next meeting:

Monday 2 December 2019

Agreed to move start time to 7.30pm. Peter to update website, Clare to do FB event post and highlight change of time. Eric to inform The Exchange staff.

Leave a comment

Filed under Meetings

Comments are closed.