Minutes of the Leicester Cycle Campaign meeting held at the Exchange Bar, Leicester 7:30 Monday 2nd December 2019
Present: Clare, Neil, Eric and Peter
- The new London Road cycle path.
- The Leicester railway station cycle hub.
- Leaves on Leicester cycle paths.
- Wellington Street
- Jarrom Street
- The Magazine toucan crossing.
- The Leicester City Council consultation on the current climate emergency.
- The next LCCG Annual General Meeting.
The new London Road cycle path
- The new London Road cycle path will not be opening until February 2020 due problems with the contractors.
- There seem to be a problems with signage around bike traffic lights and road markings especially at the junction with De Montfort Street. ACTION: Eric to contact Councillor Adam Clarke to arrange a site visit to highlight these snagging problems.
- The new cycle path across Victoria Park, from the War Memorial to the Queens Road crossing is still not complete, again apparently due to problems with the contractors.
The Leicester railway station cycle hub
- Peter emailed customer services at East Midland Railway to enquire what plans they have for the Leicester cycle hub but has not received a response yet. ACTION: Eric to email the press officer at East Midlands railway to expedite a response.
Leaves on Leicester cycle paths.
- Due to the recent very wet weather Leicester’s cycle paths are covered with slippery wet leaves and several accidents have been caused by this. Leicester City Council has been alerted to this problem via Love Leicester.
- We are looking to the council to state what strategy they have on keeping paths clear of ice and leaves. If they don’t have a strategy then we want to encourage them to develop one. This is for the benefit of pedestrians as well as cyclists
- ACTION: Eric to ask Andy Salkeld to add the sweeping of cycle paths as an agenda item at the next city cycle workshop.
- Wellington Street has returned to being two way for cyclists but there is a lack of signage to indicate this. ACTION: Neil to contact Leicester City Council to thank them for returning Wellington Street to its former two way status for cyclists but to point out the lack of signage to make this clear to motorists.
- The cycle contraflow at the end of Jarrom Street near its junction with Eastern Boulevard is a second example of the issue of inadequate signage on streets where there is a contraflow bike lane (Briton Street being a third). Elizabeth Burleigh is continuing to engage with the Council on Jarrom Street, and will let us know of any further updates.
The Magazine toucan crossing
- The new toucan crossing by the magazine is an improvement but there are still problems with the segregation of DMU students from cyclists. Hopefully, Leicester City Council will resolve these snags in time. ACTION: Eric to invite Andy Salkeld for a site visit to highlight the problems.
The Leicester City Council consultation on the current climate emergency
- Leicester City Council have opened a consultation on the current climate emergency. The consultation will be open until February.
- LCCG to contact Friends of the Earth to ask them what they have entered into the consultation regarding sustainable transport. ACTION: Clare.
The next LCCG Annual General Meeting
- The next LCCG Annual General Meeting is to be held on Saturday 28th March 2020 at the Secular Hall, Humberstone Gate. ACTION: Clare to book the hall.
- The plan is to meet at 10 am on the morning of the AGM for a ride around London road and Victoria Park to highlight the new cycling infrastructure there.
- ACTION: Eric to invite Chris Boardman MBE to be a speaker at the AGM.
- ACTION: Neil to invite the West Midland Police to speak at the AGM about their campaign against close passing.
Date of next LCCG meeting
- 7:30 Monday 3rd February 2020 at the Exchange bar