Category Archives: Meetings

Agendas, minutes of our meetings.

Minutes from quarterly meeting 4th September 2017

Present: Eric, Jaime, Mat S, Peter, Elizabeth, Clare

Apologies: Neil, Steve

  1. 1.       London Rd (Clare)

Clare representing Leicester Wheels For All – at meeting with Neil. Best of a bad job, difficult to imagine better solutions that could be feasibly implemented.

Basic design – one track on each side. Not too bad until down near station where it gets tricky especially for coming down into town, how do you get across to Station. At top everything moves over to Victoria Park (2 way cycle lane) up to Mayfield Rd roundabout. Nothing past that along A6 towards Oadby. No strong preferences expressed for different version, none perfect.

Pedestrians, 6mm drop for bikes, then 6mm for road/cars. Neil and others suggested that ‘gutter-style’ might be appropriate/better. Designers said ‘but pedestrians don’t want to walk in gutters’. Bikes to be treated as vehicles with priority on side roads (although details opaque).

Upright protection, bollards or wands preferable to sheffield stands (unanimously agreed by us)

No sign of cameras outside station. Or are there? No signage.

Ideas of moving bus stops up to outside Tesco but generally thought not a great idea. Some bus stops to be eliminated and only have one major station bus stops.

Entry/exit points are tricky. Car traffic around station is still a problem.

At the moment, plans expected September. Once plans are out time for consultation.

Working group to (1) look at plans, (2) write recommendations, (3) ask for input from core members, (4) submit ideas to council, (5) ask membership to submit a consultation response using our points or their own.

Main issues:

  • ·         Upright protection
  • ·         Gutter design
  • ·         Prioritisation

Eric mentioned that we have to consider the New Walk faction and if the London Rd solution doesn’t measure up there will be a number of people advocating for using New Walk not crap new infrastructure.

Provisional working party (AP): Neil, Clare, Elizabeth, and Jaime to contact Andy and try to view plans early evening.

  1. 2.       Belvoir St (Clare)

Clare wondered whether new plans had been presented at CCW or plans just changed on the hoof. Not clear where cycles should go. General decision to keep an eye on it but focus on London Road.

  1. 3.       Arriva campaign (Eric)

Arriva approached Eric (27/07/17) to ask if we [LCCG] could help publicise their Safe Pass campaign. Eric replied and said, yes, how can we help. But then everything went silent. Eric followed up with a second email after observing improper bus behaviour on his way to the meeting.

  1. 4.       HSBC City Ride

LCCG would like to thank to Neil for attending on behalf of LCCG and speaking to some useful people.

Also, Cycle Hoop rep made contact with a few people and received some advice (e.g. from Elizabeth and Clare). Sent towards community groups (e.g. scouts, housing groups) who may be able to garner support and funding.

  1. 5.       Dangerous parking (Eric)

In 3 months ask for stats on number of tickets issued for dangerous parking (LCCG AP). Important to make sure that parking on cycle tracks are included in dangerous parking initiatives.

  1. 6.       Memberships (Jaime)

Mat (AP) to give Jaime access to info@lccg address so that J can double check online signups every 3 months.

  1. 7.       Scheduling meetings with Adam Clarke

Ongoing meetings with Adam Clarke in his constituency in informal setting (approx. every 6 months). Mat (AP) to request meeting with Adam. Meeting scheduled for 21st September.

  1. 8.       Home page redesign (Peter)

Discussion concluded that Twitter and Facebook widgets were worth keeping on home page. People generally agreed that we would try to post something on FB/Twitter at least once a month to keep page feeling current. Peter (AP) to make main page static content and leave widgets for dynamic content.

  1. 9.       Safe Pass Initiative (Eric)

Very disappointing response from police. Not taking advice from cycling community. Various offers of help offered and not taken advantage of (e.g. web portal for people to upload close pass videos). Eric (AP) would like to discuss the relationship between Simon Cole (Chief Constable) and LCCG/the cycling community so that there can be more two-way communication rather than police telling us how things should be.

  1. 10.   Cycle parking at the station (Clare)

All cycle parking removed from station but Cycle Hub has run out of fobs and may not be getting more. Clare (AP) may go and discuss with rail people.

  1. 11.   Date of next meeting: Monday 4th December

Elizabeth (AP) to consider a Winter Safari to take place ~6pm on the week before meeting.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Meetings

Meeting Minutes – Monday 5th June 2017

Present: Anna (chair), Jaime (secretary), Dave C, Nicola, Mariangela, Clare, Peter, Neil, Adam

Apologies: Eric, Mat

  1. 1.       Infrastructure
    1. a.       Five-ways plans

Discussion of plans presented for Cycle City Forum (CCF). Improvements to many junctions proposed. Major issue is that cycle provision is likely to be shared space (Clare). No definite plans at the moment as exact measurements not available – planners would prefer segregated lanes but shared space seems the most likely outcome. Consultation is closed so few options to influence. Peter mentioned that central reservation could have been used (Blackbird Road) and alternative parallel routes (Bradgate Road) but suggestions not acted on. Nicola raised the possibility of pushing for a Leicester City Design Guide (similar to the London one). Timeframe for scheme unknown. Anna to ask for input from James (SusTrans) (AP).

    1. b.       Wellington Street

Neil is concerned about the route from Market Street onto Wellington Street as the redesign may have ignored the needs of cyclists. Anna, Clare and any other volunteers to attempt to ride after the meeting and report back (AP).

    1. c.       De Montfort University routes

Raised by Adam. Concerns about actual route of Route 6 after redevelopment paerticularly the lack of signage. Clare mentioned that route has been changed a few times during the process and it is not clear what the finalised route will be. Anna mentioned that in the near future the National Cycle Network may look at this afresh(?).

    1. d.       Sheffield stands outside The Criterion

Peter mentioned the missing cycle stands removed during work and hoped they would be re-installed.

    1. e.       Castle Gardens

Group discussed the lack of cycle paths through Castle Gardens as somebody had been told off by member of the public for riding through. Short discussion of whether group should ask for this ban to be lifted but this idea not to be followed up on at present.

    1. f.        London Road

Clare and Nicola had attended most recent CCF at which this was discussed. Currently, the council’s proposal should be with the Mayor and the finalised plans may be at the next CCF meeting. Suggestion to ask for plans to be available in advance (30 minutes) of the meeting to allow some consultation and appropriate responses. Anna (as rep for LCCG) and Nicola to coordinate and request early viewing at next CCF meeting (21st June; AP).

  1. 2.       City Ride

Now sponsored by HSBC rather than Sky. Date is 14th August although this clashes with races, i.e. Castle Classic. Event is likely to be more ‘corporate’ this year and LCCG may not be offered a stall. Suggestion to do something more informal and wear LCCG-branded T-shirts while cycling round the course and engaging people at opportune moments. A popular idea. Anna to discuss with Andy what general arrangements will be on the day and subgroup of interested people to meet up in mid-late July to discuss specific plans (AP).

  1. 3.       Safe Pass Initiative

Eric (absent) reports that police have decided to ‘go it alone’ and he has had little contact of late. Decision of group to thank Eric for his hard work in establishing this initiative and to monitor the effectiveness of the campaign over the summer.

  1. 4.       Meeting frequency

All present were happy with new arrangements. In addition, it was pointed out that meeting dates no longer clash with Bank Holidays so no need to move from Monday. Mat to email The Exchange to cancel room booking on months not needed (AP).

  1. 5.       Online presence and social media

Clare mentioned lack of up-to-date information on website. Consensus by group that a more static website with links to dynamic content (Facebook, Twitter) would be preferable and easier to maintain. Peter to start a redesign of a simpler, static homepage (AP.) Jaime (and future secretaries) to ensure minutes are sent through to Peter for archiving (AP). Adam and Claire to continue posting relevant information on Facebook (AP).

  1. 6.       Field trip

Nottingham and London both suggested by Neil as potential locations for a trip to examine cycle infrastructure ‘done properly’. Nottingham preferred due to cheaper cost. Suggestion to contact Nottingham Cycle Group (Hugh?) as way of building bridges and getting local opinions/information. Cycle hire in Nottingham mentioned as may be easier than trying to get lots of bikes on a single train. Anna to contact Hugh (AP) and Neil to send out email to discussion group with some candidate weekends to garner expressions of interest (AP).

Meeting closed at 20:30

Date of next meeting: Monday 4th September

Leave a comment

Filed under Meetings

Meeting Minutes – Mon 7th November 2016

Present: Peter, Neil, Adam, Jamie, Matt, Steve, Fiona (new member)

Apologies: Clare, Nicola, Ann, David, Eric, Elizabeth

– Nicola sent a message to say that she attended the October Cycle City Forum but will present more fully at the November meeting. She received a formal reply to her plans to redesign London Road for cycling. The reply was from Adam Clarke and is broadly supportive (quite similarly worded to that received from Clare.)

– Both Clare and the LCCG as a group have received replies from letters about the danger to cyclists of taxis opening doors outside the train station (the cause of a recent death). Progress has been made on this. The council has extended the bus-stop the full length of the station and have erected signs saying ‘No stopping at any time’. At the moment, there is a traffic-warden posted there all day. Neil and Steve spoke to the traffic wardens. They have moved on lots of cars and the scheme seems to be working. Black cabs are still permitted to pull up there for unloading (they have a lock on the off-kerb side). It is unknown how long the wardens will continue to be there or if there is a longer term solution. It was agreed that the group will send a letter of ‘thanks’ to the council for their swift work so far. Jamie will draft this and circulate.

– Neil has set up a group instagram site for the easier posting of photos. The site is working well and will hopefully be seen by a different audience. Members are encouraged to look at the site and to give suggestions on how the site could be best utilised. The address is: Leicesterccg

– Steve has contacted DMU about the works happening on Mill Lane (through the campus). He was assured that there will be segregated cycling through this area upon completion, especially along the official NCN63.

– Matt has contacted West Midlands Police to obtain their statistical analysis from their recent campaign against motorists who make close passes of cyclists. He has yet to receive the information but hopes that it can be used to further persuade Leicestershire police to instigate a similar campaign.

– Steve gave some feedback from the last Cycle City Forum. At this meeting, it was revealed that Sustrans are working with the council to do some preliminary surveys of areas of the city that could be improved for cycling. The most interesting was a route west along the Hinkley Road. Eric and Dave went on these visits so can give better feedback at later meetings. The ideas are in a very preliminary stage. Also of interest is a ‘Cycle into the City’ day on Sat 17th December. Volunteers are needed. Details can likely be found on the Cycle City website. The next meeting of the forum will be on 16th November. Steve, Fiona and Adam are all interested in attending.

– Peter pointed out that there are cycle lane related works happening on Groby Road. We’re not sure why.

– Neil gave feedback from the London Cycle Campaign conference that he attended. He has already circulated information by E-mail and members can contact him for more specific information. He was particularly struck by the idea of having cycle related awards which are presented at the AGM. London has recently introduced some excellent cycle-ways and the London cycle groups were giving tips for success. One idea is ‘Flipping the Grid’ which involves smaller roads being essentially closed to car through traffic and instead ‘given’ to pedestrians and cyclists. The London groups don’t talk about cycle-lanes and pedestrianisation but emphasise the re-allocation of public space.

Leave a comment

Filed under Meetings

5 September 2016 – meeting minutes

Attenders: Jaime* (chair), Dave, Peter, Sallie, Anna, Wendel, Clare (note-taker), Neil*, Nicola, Andy F (* indicates committee member)

London Road
Jaime reminded the meeting that we’ve been talking with the Council about safer cycling on London Road for a couple of years, including an onsite meeting with Peter Soulsby, and it’s been slow going. There are divided opinions on the option to use New Walk as an alternative although it does have strong support (see last meeting’s notes).

Nicola (who is involved with Evington Cycle Club) had witnessed the accident involving Sam Boulton; she is an architect and is willing to help draw up new ideas. She attended the Cycle City Workshop with Andy Farndale, other attendees were Andy Salkeld and a Council note-taker, Dave Warnock, Mike Gamble and reps from the two universities. The design for the new cycle lanes (two way, on one side only) was basically rejected, with calls for a path on each side (featured in some of the earlier designs). No notes yet from this meeting or another earlier one with Council, family members, LCM representative, etc.

Andy F had spoken with the City Enforcement Officers (aka traffic wardens) about enforcement. There has been increased presence at the station and they are telling people to move on.  There is an issue of some missing signage that the Council is dealing with – the signs are now on order – to enable full enforcement.

The Police and Crime Commissioner Willy Bach is intending to attend one of the monthly Cycle City Workshops in the near future.

 Actions

  • Anna, Mat and Jaime to work on letter to Council asking what they are doing in long-term and short-term to protect cyclists, especially what can be done immediately, eg. enforcing traffic/parking regulations at the station. Some things to mention might be around their financial commitment, the involvement of experienced designers in the current proposals, and a proper media campaign around awareness of cycle safety.
  • Dennis to put together a checklist of the kind of information we would be wanting to gather, to do some of our own monitoring/data gathering at the station. Anyone can use it in their own time and bring results to meeting.
  • Encourage use of the Love Leicester app for parking issues, including people dropping off outside station. Dennis to draft a postcard-size flyer explaining how to download and use the app and circulate it for comment.
  • Ask Adam Clark (Assistant City Mayor) what happens with data from Love Leicester app – how can we use hashtags, etc, effectively to ensure there is useful data?
  • Encourage people to report incidents like dangerous driving, near misses, aggressive/abusive behaviour towards cyclists, to the police using 101. In the case of a collision, insist on them making a report and get the case number. Tweet central police, council. (Include info/advice on LL flyer)

 Other Suggestions/possible actions:

  • We should be pushing for designs that meet London Cycling Design Standards – perhaps do a comparison between any design we get shown and the standards and get it published in the Mercury. Adam Clarke has already suggested bringing Brian Deegan, who worked on the Standards, to Leicester to meet with council staff. Alternatively, encourage Council to take some engineers down to London to see what is being built there. (Standards are available online on the TFL website)
  • Collect stories from people who have experienced accidents or near misses
  • Have a regular meeting with Adam Clark (in addition to the quarterly cycle forum)
  • The bike which was decorated at the SkyRide is going to Sam’s school for the children there to contribute to. A suggestion is being considered to design posters to break down barriers between users of different forms of transport – eg. showing a taxi driver going home and thinking ‘I just want my kids to be safe’. This should involve Sam’s family and so needs to happen at the right time for them. It should be promoted by the Council, with funding to put up posters across the city.
  • Consider ways to pre-empt a pushback from businesses on London Road in relation to putting in cycle lanes (as happened on Welford Road and Belgrave Road).

SkyRide Report
A small number of people did the bulk of the work, for which the rest of us are very grateful. We signed up 40 new members and spoke to lots of others. Jaime will write a letter to the allotment society to thank them for the use of the gazebo and table. It was good to have something to draw people in (the decorated bike for Sam). In future: consider posting a big bold statement on the stall, eg. ‘Use the Love Leicester app’.

Welford Road
Discussion with Adam Clark (Assistant Mayor) postponed after London Road incident now set for October. Dennis to update evidence he put together earlier. It would help to draw up a comparison between what’s been done and what would be recommended by the London Cycling Design Standards. To be discussed at next month’s meeting.

Belgrave Road
Consultation closed last month. Outcome expected next month.

DMU / Mill Lane / Gateway Street
Pedestrianised streets through DMU being worked on now, parts of Mill Lane due to be finished by end September, Gateway Street later. Original plans shown at Cycle City Workshop some time ago, with ‘meandering’ cycle path between areas of grass, benches, trees and pavement. Not clear whether this is still the design, no recent discussion at CCW. (Later, Clare put photos on Facebook showing more detail given in a poster on campus, cycle/pedestrian paths appear less winding.)

Granby Street
Wendel expressed concern over reconfiguration of junction of Granby Street with Rutland Street/Belvoir Street, including removal of all traffic lights. Changes introduce an area of ‘shared space’ with lack of clear priority intended to make drivers to slow down. Wendelwas not convinced this would be safe especially due to buses using stops on Rutland Street. Changes should be monitored once completed – may be appropriate to raise concerns related to cycle safety with Council.

Different approaches to cycling in London vs Leicester
Neil shared photos of cycling infrastructure (cycle superhighway and ‘quiet ways’) from recent visit to London. Reflecting on differences of approach between there and Leicester, he concludes that London treats cyclists as traffic while Leicester treats us as pedestrians. Treating cyclists as road users gives better results, eg. priority at junctions, not being squeezed up against pedestrians, prevents parking on cycle paths. Suggestion to adopt a slogan such as ‘Get it back to us when it’s on the road’ when responding to future plans/consultations related to cycling infrastructure, although some wondered whether this might be seen as saying that we’re happy enough cycling on the road. Discussion to be continued…

Website
Anna reported that Mat has been working on the online membership sign-up and that it should go live tonight. Clare will post link on FB.

Parking Improvement consultation
Council consultation on parking is live until end of month. Clare to post reminder on FB.

 Date of next meeting
3 October 2016

Leave a comment

Filed under Meetings

1 August 2016 – meeting minutes

17 people attended, including representatives of Leicester Critical Mass and some new members.

Updates from previous meeting:

  • Welford Road: the meeting with Assistant Mayor Adam Clarke had been postponed to tomorrow evening (2 August). Not sure what is on his agenda but we want to try and cover the general issues of consultation with the council and communication with planners.
  • Meeting with Police & Crime Commissioner: contact made but no date set for a meeting as yet (likely to be October/November)
  • Cyclescape.org and email discussion list: people still not finding it very intuitive to use, although it should be really good for recording and monitoring issues, with lots of accident stats available through it. People encouraged to sign up and keep trying it. Discussion list email is working better since bugs were fixed. If people had problems with it, should be encouraged to try again.
  • Belgrave Road Consultation: closes on Thursday (4 August). Need to keep encouraging people to respond as numbers matter. There is a page on the website with response from LCCG, posts on FB and Twitter. Neil got 30 people at Friday’s Critical Mass to complete a paper copy of the survey, visit to Cossington Park produced a dozen more. Clare to repost on FB.
  • Mayor’s (now Assistant Mayor’s) Quarterly Cycle Forum: latest one was on the day of the fatal accident on London Road. Those attending still consider forum to be useful although with less clout than when chaired by the City Mayor. Belgrave Road consultation was covered – only two options on table now, third with cycle lanes was dropped a while ago. Consultation process indicates not enough people are requesting cycle facilities to warrant building them. London Road cycle path plans discussed: proposal for two-way segregated track on inbound (west) side, linking to Victoria Park at the top. At the bottom end there are three options under consideration. Still in early design station not ready for consultation yet. (In the meeting with Adam Clarke on 2 August, it was made clear that the earliest possible date for a path would be 2018, given funding requirements and practicalities of scheduling major infrastructure works.)
  • Skyride: Jaime to set up doodle poll for message to go out to Discussion list, Dennis to check on reprinting of tee-shirts and arrange pick up of stall material with Neil, Clare to contact Andy Salkeld re: pitch.
  • St Matthews Parks Day: we had been invited to have a stall on August 12th but not enough people available to run it
  • St Georges Churchyard (opposite Curve): consultation on redevelopment closes Wednesday (3 August).


Fatal accident on
London Road: discussion with representatives of Leicester Critical Mass

  • Background: on Wednesday 27 July, a young man suffered a fatal bike accident in front of Leicester Railway Station. He was hit by someone opening the road-side rear door of a taxi and knocked into the path of a van. (At the time of our meeting, his name had not been released to the public; he has since been named as Sam Boulton.) On the following Friday, Leicester Critical Mass passed the station and stopped for a ‘bike lift’ to acknowledge Sam’s death and highlight the risks to cyclists using London Road. The majority of the Mass riders also cycled down New Walk in protest at the prohibition on its use as a cycle route.
  • Members of LCM have engaged with members of Sam’s immediate family who are happy to put a decorated bike (done by Sam himself) by the site of the accident. We would have a strong ally in his fiancée in calling for faster action on a safe route. LCM were planning a press release on the day Sam’s name was released. They will also advise LCCG when the decorated bike was to be placed, so that we could ask our members/followers to attend a public demonstration with press coverage focusing on the issue of cars stopping outside the station.
  • LCM have also spoken with James Bowie, owner of the Belmont Hotel and a leading member of Friends of New Walk, (his son is a cyclist and member of Leicester Forest club). He would be another ally in pressing for a safe route that did not involve New Walk.
  • Rebecca Pritchard has launched a change.org petition (https://www.change.org/p/leicester-city-council-stop-cycling-tragedies-bike-lane-on-new-walk-leicester) calling for the ban on cycling on New Walk to be lifted, with the creation of a cycle lane.
  • It is clear that the problem that needs fixing is the danger posed to cyclists using London Road and a possible solution is to allow cycling on New Walk, at least in the interim while something is done about London Road.
  • In a straw poll, the majority of those at the meeting were in favour of calling for New Walk to be available to cyclists, given the lack of a safe alternative to London Road. Such a move would be at little or no cost and would immediately create a safe route, whilst plans continue to build something more long-term on London Road (which is going to take years to complete). People are already using New Walk to cycle on, mostly for reasons of personal safety, and those who are cycling considerately are more likely to be stopped and questioned/fined than those who are not.
  • Those against the idea pointed out that it is already heavily used by pedestrians and we want to take space away from cars (to reduce traffic and to make better use of road space). LCCG have been talking with the Council over a long period about a safe cycle path down London Road, including attending a site visit with Peter Soulsby to consider options. Our strategy is to encourage the building of segregated cycle paths along arterial roads, rather than pushing cyclists onto alternative routes.
  • New Walk has a road traffic order prohibiting cycling as well as being a footpath, so no cycling at present. The Council cannot change the status of the footpath but could allow cycling, although this would probably require a public enquiry for someone (LCCG?) would have to pay.
  • The issue on London Road is not one of traffic congestion but of chaos, which is putting cyclists at risk. We need to press the Council to sort it out, possibly with an urban clearway outside station, to reduce use by cars dropping off/picking up passengers.
  • Need to let Adam Clarke know of feeling of meeting and to ask how fast London Road can happen (see earlier comment). What are the alternatives if this is not fast enough? We and others will take action to put on the pressure.
  • Suggestion of a half-day conference to discuss the matter, rather than leaving it all to consultations taking place in offices.

Leave a comment

Filed under Meetings

4 July 2016 – meeting minutes

11 members present, apologies from 2.

  1. Kidical Mass: this had taken place the day before the meeting, cycling Bede Park-Abbey Park-Bede Park. It would be repeated in another few weeks.
  2. Park survey: Brendan to send the surveys to Clare and Dennis.
  3. Hospital BUG (Bike Users’ Group): Neil has been trying to improve cycling provision at University Hospitals of Leicester (UHL). UHL is trying to set up a Bike Users’ Group: the contact is ruth.ward@uhl-tr.nhs.uk
  4. Email system: eemail seem to have fixed glitches which were causing problems in the recent past. Jamie has set up an alternative, and is testing it with a small number of members – initial results are promising. It was agreed to expand use to the rest of the forum members. It was agreed to seek user feedback for the next meeting – everyone should post at least one message.
  5. Braunstone Gate: Charlotte discussed developments at Braunstone Gate, and invited members to a public meeting on July 06 at The Laundry Bar. Clare would publicise the proposals; feedback to Charlotte on 07833 057 595; charlotte.jones@sustrans.org.uk; particularly valued would be views from residents and regular users of Braunstone Gate.
  6. Rutland Street – Neil to contact the council expressing concern about car/cycle conflicts as cars exit the car park.
  7. Belgrave Road: the consultation is open (https://consultations.leicester.gov.uk/communications/belgrave-road/consult_view). A number of members had been to the two days of exhibitions and were not impressed. There was a two lane option and a four lane option, neither had segregated facilities for cyclists. Members would be encouraged to submit comments – Mat had suggested some points; Dave agreed to expand these to a model response and circulate to members.
  8. Welford Road: There had been issues with cars parking and signs being placed in the new cycleway, and one car driver had been filmed using it to “undertake” other cars. Elizabeth and Eric would discuss it when they met Councillor Adam Clarke. Members to post on the Facebook site and comments for Councillor Clarke.  Eric agreed to invite Councillor Clarke for a ride along Welford Road.
  9. It was agreed (Eric?) to ask for a meeting with the new Police and Crime Commissioner for Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland (Willie Bach).
  10. AOB: Leicester City Public Access Forum is still looking for someone to represent the cycling interest – contact paul.standley@leicester.gov.uk if you are interested.
  11. It was agreed to have an LCCG meeting as normal on Monday August 1 (no summer break).

Leave a comment

Filed under Meetings

4 June 2016 – meeting minutes

The meeting started on the new Welford Road cycle lane, with a dozen or so people giving the path a tryout (see comments below).

Ten members were present at the meeting at The Exchange.

Riverside Festival feedback
We signed up around 40 new members, although not all of them were able to pay the membership fee. We were in a good location. It was agreed to do something similar at Skyride Leicester in August.

Rutland Centre car park
Neil explained how he was nearly struck by two vehicles exiting the car park next to The Curve. The road direction had recently been reversed to facilitate closure of a section of road outside the Exchange. Neil agreed to write to the council on behalf of the group, expressing concern.

Kiddical Mass
Mat, Anna, Jamie and others are organising an informal gathering for child cyclists and their parents at Abbey Park. The details had still not been agreed, but it would possibly take place on the weekend of July 2 and 3, and would involve traffic free routes.

Email system
The current system being used to send emails to group members was proving problematic. After some discussion, Jamie agreed to set up a fresh account as a potential replacement using Cyclescape.org which will also give us other data and information sharing options. The Committee will trial it for a month and provide feedback at the next meeting before making a decision about whether to move.

Park survey
After some discussion, it was agreed that Brendan would send copies of the parks surveys to Dennis for analysis and to Clare for eventual uploading on to the LCCG website.  It was agreed that due to cutbacks within the parks’ department, we would prioritise asking for a repeal of bylaws curtailing cycling within Victoria Park (?Councillor Adam Clarke) over asking for extra cycle parking provision across the city.

Welford Road cycle path
Before the meeting, there had been a site visit to the new cycle path on Welford Road. Although open to cyclists, it is not yet complete. Cyclists using it will have to stop at Toucan crossings where the road passes side roads – some may decide to use the road instead. The start and finish of the route had poor dropped kerbs, and it doesn’t currently link into the cycle lane at The Newarke – presumably this is awaiting site development. The route narrows and becomes a shared path with pedestrians ahead of the Toucan crossings. However, the lane also brought the first floating bus stop in the city, and would be useful for many/most cyclists. It was agreed to take balanced feedback to the City Cycle Forum. Elizabeth and Steve agreed to deal with any media enquiries.

Active City Workshop
Attendees expressed disappointment with the scale of the workshop, its focus on four-lane highways, and the absence of key figures from the City Council.

Other Business

  1. The Leicester City Public Access Forum is looking for up to four cyclists to join; it meets in afternoons. For details/to express interest, contact standley@leicester.gov.uk ;
  2. We are expecting an announcement on the Golden Mile, Belgrave, soon, with a new exhibition scheduled for 28 and 30 June at the Belgrave Neighbourhood Centre (see Council website consultation pages for information).
  3. There was a discussion of police failing to record injury collisions involving cyclists. This appeared to contradict Leicestershire Police’s own procedure and national guidance: https://leics.police.uk/media/uploads/library/file/Road%20Traffic%20Collision%20Procedure%20-%20PR034.1.pdf which states:

“Police attendance is required where:

  • Any person is injured or killed 
  • There is a suggestion that a driver has been under the influence of drink or drugs
  • The road is obstructed
  • There are any allegations or offences. “

And: “Road Traffic Collisions will be recorded in the following circumstances:

  • Any person is killed or injured; 
  • The officer considers an offence has been committed…”

And: “Injury Collisions:

  • If the collision was on a public highway, an MG NSRF (collision statistics form) must be completed in full, and attached to the RTC booklet when submitting for registration.”

4.  Braunstone Gate would be closed to traffic as an experiment on June 12 and 13.

Leave a comment

Filed under Meetings