Author Archives: leicsccg

London Road Sept 2016 update

The death of Sam Boulton on London Road on 27th July highlighted the lack of space for cycling on London Road. There were two Critical Mass rides, one of which ended up at an exhibition of Sam’s art at the Parcel Yard. A petition was started to allow cycling on New Walk with 1034 signatures at time of writing.

The city council took the (unprecedented) step of sharing its early plans for a two way cycle track on the inbound side of London Road. They were discussed at the August Cycle City Workshop meeting which agreed unanimously that a two way track on one side of the road isn’t good enough, and that there should be tracks on both sides of London Road.

The cycle campaign supports calls for tracks on both sides for the following reasons –

  • Cyclists are put in danger when they are (legitimately) riding on cycle tracks against the flow of traffic because drivers turning out of and into junctions frequently fail to look for or see them – try riding along Granby St past Northampton St towards the station for an example. Cycle tracks should run in the direction of general traffic (but allow use the ‘wrong’ way where necessary).
  • London Road is a destination with shops, businesses and other routes on both sides. A cycle route on one side only will make riding here less attractive and lead to pavement cycling.
  • Routes each side will be easier to build at an appropriate width than one two way one.

As ever, the detail of any design is critical here. Schemes in Leicester tend to treat us as fast pedestrians who don’t mind giving way at every opportunity. We would like to see the planners treat cyclists as vehicles which need priority when passing side roads and design a safe, continuous and direct route along this busy road.

The plans released by the council are said to be at an early stage. We need to lobby for tracks each side as a matter of priority. The campaign will be in touch with Adam Clarke (assistant mayor with responsibility for Energy & Sustainability) to press this point and will continue to lobby for an first class route which will be an example of what can be done.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under London Road, News

Belgrave Road Consultation June – Aug 2016

Belgrave Road Consultation

belg rd

Space for cycling : none

The Leicester Cycle Forum meeting on 27th July discussed the changes on offer for Belgrave Road, from Belgrave Circle to the Loughborough Road turn. In short, the options on the table are as it is (2 lanes in each direction) with a few trees to prettify it and some changes to crossings, or one lane in each direction with bigger pavements (and changed crossings).

Neither option offers any safe space for cycling or does anything to reduce the pavement cycling seen as a problem in the area.

This is not acceptable and the council needs people to feed into the consultation to make the point that we need separated space to cycle.

We are encouraging all our members to complete the consultation as we know that the number of responses on each side is what they care about most. Your response really will count!

It only takes a few minutes to complete and can be found here: Consultation link

Here are some suggested responses.

belg 2

Space for cycling : none

Question 1
Which option do you prefer?

Option B – two lanes

Question 2 (this is the only space to add comments)
Please let us know if you have any comments on either of the options

Belgrave Road is a major route into the city. At the moment, it is a place where only the fast and the brave will cycle on the road – others choose the pavement, with the usual problems. The Mayor has expressed a desire for cycle tracks on major routes and Leicester has recently been lauded as a forward-thinking city for cycling. Despite this, there is no separate space for cycling included in these plans. The idea that people will cycle amongst the cars and buses (as shown in the artists impressions) is a whimsical fantasy and cycling levels will continue to be as depressed as they are now. This is contrary to the council’s plans re cycling – would you take children to school on Belgrave Road as pictured? If there is room for four traffic lanes and a central reservation, there is room for two traffic lanes and separated cycle tracks on each side.

Questions 3,4,5,6,7 – monitoring questions.

We know that numbers count in this consultation. Thanks for you help.

 

Update 20th Oct

There is a piece in the Mercury on the outcome of the Belgrave Consultation. It’s light on detail – in short, the four lane “keep it as it is” option doesn’t have a massive majority.

screenshot-from-2016-10-20-201811It’s not an ideal situation – we’d have liked a resounding mandate to enable people to cycle safely up and down Belgrave Road. However, not rebuilding four lanes now does leave the door open for something better in the future.

Thanks to all who responded.

Leave a comment

Filed under Belgrave Road, News

Welford Rd consultation closing!

Welford Rd consultation closes today, 2nd Nov. If you’re stuck for words, feel free to copy & paste these. The more people get in touch to support space for cycling the better. Emails to transport.strategy@leicester.gov.uk please.


I write in response to the consultation on cycle ways on Welford Road
and Belvoir St.  These are very important ‘missing’ bits of cycle route and I am in favour of creating them.  If we want less car-based congestion in Leicester, there have to be reasonable travel alternatives, and these routes would contribute to that.  Research around the world has found that creation of lanes for cars increases car traffic, and creation of lanes for bikes increases bike traffic.

I have a few specific comments about the plans shown on the internet:
* ‘Changing sides’ between pedestrians and cycles should be avoided.
I know that during peak times the bus stops at the top of Welford Road are very crowded, however we need to trust people not to cycle into pedestrians or walk out without attending to their surroundings.  Goodexamples exist in Brighton (where cycle ways that come between bus stops and their passengers have a slight rise to prevent speeding bikes, and sometimes pedestrian crossings.  The initiators of the scheme were Hove Council LSTF, through the officer has moved on. Similar plans, without raised sections or striping, are used throughout Copenhagen, and neither pedestrians nor cyclists appear to
fear each other; they manage interactions with no problem.

* Parking has always been a problem in the bus lane on Welford Road, increasing as more takeaways opened there.  Parking must be tackled if the cycle and pedestrian lanes are to work, perhaps directing parking to designated short-term spaces on Mill St, etc, in the neighbourhood. Newark St shows that a cycle lane will be used as temporary parking if that is not made impossible.  Barriers must be in place to prevent parking on the cycle lane.  I would like to see wands in use, which could be removed later and do not take away too much space from the lane.

* Some cyclists will want to turn right onto Carlton St.  This could be facilitated by an advanced stop box on Regent Road that cyclists could enter from Welford Road on their green phase of the traffic lights.

* The present proposals have cyclists giving way four times in 300 yards (Marlborough St, Mill St, Regent Road, Tower St). As human-powered vehicles, it is important for cyclists to be able to maintain momentum – do all of these roads have to be give-ways for cycles?

* From Carlton St, the proposed plan takes cycles along the central strip between multi-lane roads, inbound and outbound. This is a dangerous and unpleasant place – witnessed by the speed cameras both sides. It would be far better to take cycles alongside Mandella Park until the Granby Halls crossing by expanding that pavement rather than the central reservation.

* Thank you for bravely taking out trees that would otherwise obstruct the lane and the visibility.

Belvoir St:
* Good use of loading bays and movable bollards.  This will be additionally helpful on Friday/Saturday nights.

* More wands/bollards will likely be needed to prevent parking.

 


 

Leave a comment

Filed under Welford Road

Welford Road – plans, consultation open

belvoir-street

The long-awaited plans for Welford Road and Belvoir Street are online at http://www.leicester.gov.uk/news/news-story-details?nId=88388 and http://www.leicester.gov.uk/your-council/city-mayor-peter-soulsby/my-projects/connecting-leicester/new-proposals

Welford Road – even with its bus lane – is a horrible place to cycle so we welcome plans to make space for cycling on this important route.

We know that weight of numbers matter, so even a “I want to see a safe, high quality route here” email is useful and will help.

Please take 5 minutes to send a supportive email to transport.strategy@leicester.gov.uk

Thanks

Leave a comment

Filed under News, Welford Road

September minutes

Leicester Cycle Campaign Group

Notes from monthly meeting, 07 September 2015

Present:

Eric, Mat, Jamie, Neil, Grant, Elizabeth, Peter, Clare, Steve, Brendan, Sven.

1. Skyride feedback

We recruited 25 members at the event. The weather was not the best. The event failed to take in much new cycling infrastructure – possible because of the difficulty of accommodating bus diversions. The route wasn’t always clear. There were few if any places to help riders with repairs.

Neil agreed to buy a wheelie bag to carry LCCG stall equipment for future events.

Jamie agreed to write a letter of thanks to the Rowley Fields Allotment Society, who lent us the table and gazebo we used.

We also discussed a future event without Sky’s involvement. There was a feeling that we would prefer something with more of an emphasis on safe access to streets, and less of a festival of cycling.

2. Upcoming events

Cycle City Workshop, Wednesday September 16, 5pm,

Cycle City 2016 Business meeting – Thursday September 17, 12.30pm, The Curve – Elizabeth, Eric to attend.

Cycle City (Mayor’s) Forum – September 23, 6.30pm – Steve to attend (Jamie to attend on behalf of the University).

– Attendance at these events to be opened to the email discussion group.

Green Festival of Making and Mending – October 31, Friends’ Meeting House

(http://www.leicesterfootpaths.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=18&Itemid=152 ), this may include tuition on how to repair your own bike.

Healthy Air Leicester/Green Party – are having a stall at Leicester Railway Station every Saturday in September, 9am to noon, to gain signatures to reinstate/speed up electrification of the Midland main line. On October 17 members will be passing a giant electricity plug from town to town along the route.

3. Waterside

It was agreed to object to a planning application which would result in Soar Lane becoming a “shared surface” with significantly more motor traffic, and possibly becoming two-way along its entire length. It was agreed to ask Clare to add this to the website.

4. A50

We are expecting a decision on possible improvements in week commencing September 14, possibly at the Mayor’s Forum.

5. Welford Road

It was agreed to write to Councillor Adam Clarke to ask for an update, and to suggest a joint meeting with the Access Forum to go through the plans.

6. Marble Street

Despite earlier suggestions, we were not now expecting action this year to tackle safety problems at this site. There was also no sign of action to tackle concerns at the Northampton Street/Granby Street junction. It was agreed that Eric would draft a media release criticising the council over inaction.

There was also a discussion about safety concerns for cyclists during ongoing roadworks along Charles Street. It was agreed to raise this at the Cycle City Workshop.

7. Parks

It was agreed to conduct a survey of the city’s parks – whether cycling was allowed, and what parking and other facilities for cycling were available. Brendan agreed to co-ordinate this, asking for volunteers to survey their local parks.

8. Any Other Business

a) We noted that the “shared space” at Jubilee Square had received further critical coverage on BBC Radio Leicester; as a result further temporary signs had gone up. There appeared to be particular problems with motorists making illegal left hand turns, and Circle cabs parking.

b) on 10/09/2015 there was a further meeting planned for the Braunstone Gate Community Forum at O Bar.

 

Leave a comment

Filed under Meetings

LCCG minutes 3rd Aug 2015

LCCG minutes 3rd Aug 2015

Present

Dave W, Andy B, Jamie Mc, Neil B, Brendan McG, Eric L, Jem C, Mat S

Agenda

  • Welford road update
  • Skyride
  • Newarke St parking
  • Bell St, Wigston
  • Local Access Forum
  • A50 progress
  • Membership

 

Welford road update

Both the LAF (Local Access Forum) and the Cycle City Workshop have been consulted on plans which are not publicly available and hence haven’t been studied in detail. Welford Road was wrapped up in the LCC press release of 22nd July (http://tinyurl.com/osng2x4).
This also mentions a consultation but there are no dates for the consultation or the building work.

Brendan has drafted a letter of support for the cycle track plan – agreed to send this to the Mercury when LCC have announced work is to start, ahead of anticipated ‘outcry’ from motor lobby.

Actions : LAF and LCCG have shared concerns for this project. Eric to contact Adam Clarke to propose a joint meeting with LCCG, LCC and LAF to review current plans. Mat S to request dates for consultation and work.

Skyride

Agreed to take a stand at Westival on Braunstone Gate. Theme – utility bikes and ways to transport people / stuff by bike.

Actions : Neil to co-ordinate people and to contact Charlotte re a reduced rate stand.
All – bring child carrying / cargo / electric / other utility bikes to Skyride. Jamie to email membership requesting help on stand and utility bikes.

 

Newarke St parking

The Parking team at LCC have confirmed that continuous loading is allowed on the cycle track on Newarke St – and also on the roadway on the double yellow lines. If an enforcement officer sees a vehicle parked, they have to observe it for 5 mins before issuing a ticket.

If vehicles are observed parked on Newarke St we can call Parking Services on 0116 454 6300.

 

Bell St, Wigston

Re Martyn Smith’s email to LCCG discuss, the County has proposed banning cycling on Bell St in Wigston. It is a disproportionate reaction to damage caused by motor vehicles and would remove (probably forever) a cycle route with few pleasant
alternatives. So far there has been little support for cycling through here and local councillors are not supportive.

If you want to cut&paste some comments, here are mine (MS):
—————
I object to the banning of cycling on Bell Street.

Bell St is an important link between Leicester Road and Bull Head St because the alternative routes are unpleasant on a bike. The issues on Bell St are caused by cars and banning cycles is unnecessary and disproportionate.

I recognise that pedestrians should have priority in this area and would support 24/7 cycling with signage to make it clear that pedestrians have priority here.
—————

Action : All to respond to consultation at http://www.leics.gov.uk/wigston-bell-street by 7th AUGUST

 

Local Access Forum

The LAF would like to improve links between themand groups like LCCG and ask if we could send somebody to theirquarterly meetings. Eric and Jem volunteered to attend.

Action : Eric and Jem to contact Paul Standley (paul.standley@leicester.gov.uk)to confirm attendance and request information pack ahead of the next LAF meeting.

 

A50 progress

After the last lot of plans for the A50 wereroundly rejected and the cycle element halted by SPS, the council have done some repainting and fiddled with the side junctions but we’ve heard nothing of revised cycle plans.

Action : MS to contact Adam Clarke to chase progress.

 

Membership

Action : Jamie to email the membership with some news / updates and to request help / bikes for the skyride.

Leave a comment

Filed under Meetings

July minutes

LCCG 6 July 2015

Present: Andy, Steve, Mat, Sue, Charlotte, Jaime, Neil, Elizabeth, Brendan, Pete

1. Round up of plans viewed at Cycle City Workshop in June

  • Abbey Park Road
    • Seemed to understand the need for segregation
    • Will still be hard to get to Abbey Park and turn left, but otherwise ok
  • Welford Road
    • Set to use central reservation.
    • Crosses with pedestrians several times.
    • Not segregated where it crosses Regent Road (at least until new A&E dept)
    • Local Access Forum group has put in an objection.
    • Signalised crossings at junctions expected.
    • Expect a lot of public reaction against this. We need to prepare a press response – Brendan
    • Question – should it be on the other side of the road?
    • Suggestion: Want to see this super route to Pork Pie Roundabout
  • REHAB: Plan to clear up streets around the city, especially around parking and loading.
    • Belvoir St (mayor says it needs a contra-flow cycle lane, but currently parking and loading are in the way. Scheduled for Jan 2016?
    • Rutland St will get more cycle parking
    • Looking at Horsefair St and others for 2018+

2. Feedback on meeting with Adam Clarke

  • Now assistant mayor, it’s harder to pin him down.
  • Cycle-city Workshop consultations – no promises, but Cllr Clarke is involved in most plans, so we should work with/through him.
  • We can ask for a TROs (traffic regulation orders) go to Planning Committee (will increase amount of scrutiny, but we may not get to

3. Cycling Embassy of Great Britain AGM

  • Adam Clarke joined for some of the infrastructure safari.
  • Idris Waraich, Highways Engineer, joined for the whole day
    • Reports back that the direction needs to come from above for him to come to meetings and learning opportunities like this in the future.
  • Lots of useful things for the City Council via this meeting:
    • Promise of support from Brian Deegan (Transport for London)
    • Support for engineers
    • Positive press

Letter to Cllr Clarke; Mayor; Andrew L. Smith, including roundup of positives and (separate?) reminder of non-engagement earlier, work on further relationship. – Elizabeth to draft

4. Festivals

  • Riverside: 25 new members.
  • Suggestion that festivals need a bit more engagement in terms of what we do on behalf of members and wider good, etc. (as previous years). Quick suggestions:
      • Questions and come to join us: Do you want it to be easier to get your child to school, etc.
      • How to…carry kids or stuff, teach a child to ride, etc. Photos, etc.
      • Prep for Sky Ride? Charlotte has Bicycology leaflets; Elizabeth may have cargo bike info.

5. Membership update

  • Over 250 members now
  • Question from a member of the public: What are we doing to get private businesses to install cycling facilities?
    • Answer – individuals take this on on behalf of LCCG; some influence via city plans; we generally push the Council to stay on top of this in planning phases, etc.

6. Sarah Russell mtg

  • On track again. Will ask about Briton St as well as requirements on private businesses to provide cycling facilities.

7. A50

  • Poor consultation thus far, dating back to no engagement between November and May.
  • Objected to this at May CCW, about dismal consultation and about the poor quality of the plans (much worse than the originals we saw in November)
  • First of June meeting on site, especially discussing junctions. Saw uninspiring plans from Sustrans, which was disappointing.
  • Adam Clarke on board to help the discussion
  • Can’t see why there can’t be a cycle lane on each side of the road.
  • Have done a decent job on the ground thus far – have lowered kerbs on four junctions (the junctions discussed)…but we would like them to be putting in raised tables (as suggested by us and confirmed at Cycling Embassy of GB as doable and better practice).

8. AOB

  • More talk about University Road being closed to motorised traffic (except taxis and buses?) From the Council today.
  • Recent death of long-standing employee of the Transport Dept – hit by bus while walking down London Road.
  • Sky Ride 30 August
    • Good for signing people up. Volunteers to pull things together? Maybe Neil, with Steve to help thus far…more needed
  • Leicester Disabled People’s Access Group. Will aim for another meeting.

DoNM

7pm, 3 August 2015

The Exchange, Rutland St.

Leave a comment

Filed under Meetings